Thursday, May 7, 2009

Highlander series: bedpost & bureau


Recently my friend Joshe gave me an old Polaroid Highlander Model 80 camera he found while moving. It was made in the 50's, and is still in perfect condition. As a bonus, it also came with all sorts of instructional pamphlets, featuring shockingly sexist lines like "It's so easy to operate, women use it with pleasure!" Way to go, post-war America!

They stopped making film for this camera almost 50 years ago, but this came with a stack of prints that came out of it, clearly back in the 50's. Whoa. The hair. The dresses. What were people thinking?

I'll be posting a bunch of the pictures here, and I'll start off with this one because it was the first print on top of the stack. I imagine the camera's owner had just taken it out of the box moments before, loaded it up, and snapped off this test shot. I doubt he (or she! Remember, this camera is so simple even a woman can operate it!) was really thinking about framing, but the shooter really made something interesting out of a boring scene.

1 comment:

Christian Herwitz said...

What a freaking awesome find!