Tuesday, May 20, 2008

deconstructures pt. three



I've been working on my photos for The Mansion Show. Here are two negatives I scratched out. They're intended to fit together. Like this!


I scanned the negatives and then combined them in Photoshop. There's no digital trickery, except for lowering the opacity so both images are visible, and fixing the brightness and contrast a little bit because the exposure of the negatives is really bad. This is the first time I've done this digitally, and I think it looks really good, even if it doesn't look quite the same as if I had printed it in the darkroom. I actually did make a print of this in the darkroom today, but I just couldn't get it right. The image above is what I was going for. But with the crappily-exposed negatives I'm working with, I don't think it's even possible to darkroom-print it as well as this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a digi-genius. <3

Aaron said...

Thanks. But I'm not really. It took me about two minutes to make that image on the computer, after spending three hours in the darkroom trying to print it. Combining the negatives digitally was ridiculously easy. Does art have as much worth if it's made quickly and easily on the computer versus made painstakingly by hand? In this case it was a combination of the two, but I don't think I would ever consider this image to be on the same level with similar pictures that I printed in the darkroom. Not that it doesn't look just as good, but it's just not as satisfying to me, at least in my mind right now. I'll see how I feel when I do a bunch more.

Anonymous said...

Nice work!
Does this image have a title?

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron said...

Nah.. It's just a "Deconstructure" I guess. I'll take suggestions though.