Tuesday, May 27, 2008

railroad spikes


Earlier today I found these railroad spikes arranged exactly how they appear here, while walking down the train tracks in West Concord. They were on an old cement boarding ramp, the last remaining part of an old train station (besides the old rails). Here's a picture. It's that thing on the left:


There's a project I've been meaning to do for the past two years, but have never gotten around to, and that's to take the train outbound from Boston, get off somewhere and start walking back with my camera. You see so much interesting stuff from the train. Stuff you can only see from the train. Once in a while I'll be riding the train past roads that I've driven down many times, but I'll see things that I'd never see from a car. Even things I can see from the road, I see from a new perspective on the rail. Even something as simple as the back of a building that I've walked into from the front a thousand times. It's weirdly mind-warping sometimes.

Also, there's often a lot of just really strange debris lying along the train tracks. I've seen junked-out cars half-submerged in foggy bogs. I've seen a ramshackle Cinderella pumpkin carriage made out of metal and wood. Last year I saw a bunch of dudes fighting pitbulls behind an abandoned warehouse in Baltimore. P.S. never go to Baltimore. The entire time we were going through there I thought that any second it was going to turn into that scene from Children Of Men where the people are throwing rocks at Clive Owen while he's looking out the train window.

P.S.S. I look a lot like Clive Owen.

P.S.S.S. Sorry if you're from Baltimore. Sorry that your city is horrible!

No comments: