Sunday, December 7, 2008

flying heads


This was captured by waving my digital camera in front of a light source. Each one of those blue "heads" is the same light source (in this case I think it was a tv screen). By waving a digital camera around, it's possible to get multiple images of the same thing. The number of multiples depends on the shutter speed and how fast you're moving the camera.

I've always been interested in the differences between film and digital, and how each of them captures light. In this photo the shutter was open for 1/8 of a second, and as my hand waved the camera from left to right, it captured four images of the same thing, from slightly different angles. It seems like with a digital point-and-shoot - which is what I was using - as long as you keep the shutter open it processes the photograph in chunks. If I had shot this picture the same exact way on film, it would just look like a long blur going across the frame. It's a fundamental difference between film and digital that I've tried to use to make (hopefully) interesting pictures.

No comments: