Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Woods, RIP




My band, The Woods, ended yesterday, a year to the day after we started. It consisted of James on guitar, Luke on drums, and me on bass. I'm not sure how to describe the music other than it usually rocked. Luke is moving to the other side of the country, so that's that.

The first image is a collage I made out of paper illustrations from various sources. I just tacked some text on it for this post, but maybe we'll use it for album art if we ever narrow our songs down to a listenable few and put them on a CD.

The second image is a collage of the "album art" I made for each of our recording sessions. Luke is a music producer, and he recorded all our sessions in his home studio. We typically got together once a week and jammy-jammed (but I swear we weren't a jam band). It was very unstructured, and we never really "practiced", although there are many songs that we ran through numerous times. I'd always hoped we'd get it together and really nail some songs down, but in the end that's not really what we were about.

We ended our run with around 400 songs recorded, all live in the studio. All guitar, bass, and drums. We never played out anywhere. It was definitely one of the best things I've done with myself in the past year. I went in having never played the bass before, and came out knowing what a bass is and how to hold it. Although I wish we had written more complete songs, I'm really happy that we created the ridiculously bloated and noisy body of work that we did.

In the wake of our rock 'n roll death (bandicide?), James and I are looking for a drummer to start a new band. I'd also like to try adding a second guitarist to see what that would sound like. If you/your friend/your gramps play(s) drums, or guitar, or any other instrument (but not bass!), give me a holler.

5 comments:

Christian Herwitz said...

Ya'know, you should talk to Derek...I know he wants to do something musical, like maybe joining your jam band.

Aaron said...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/aintnoday/smuckers.jpg

Anonymous said...

When you and Laz were sort of jamming that time, i thought you sounded great. And remember his friend John that he mentioned? i think if you all were to collaborate, along with Derek, you would make beautiful music.

(can i play triangle? and/or sing badly...)

Aaron said...

I agree. Justin expressed some interest too. If only one of us could drum.

I bet you could easily play triangle and sing badly at the same time.

Anonymous said...

i might know a drummer actually.