Monday, March 24, 2008

Rock & Art: Chris Cornell

A comment in one of the previous posts reminded me that I made this last year. It was for Rock & Art at the Bank of America Pavillion. For each concert during the summer, they choose an artist to make a 3-foot x 3-foot piece, which is then 1) put on display backstage during the show 2) possibly signed by the musician or musicians 3) displayed around the venue all summer 4) auctioned off in the fall. In my case, only one of these things happened.

My piece was for the Chris Cornell show. It's a series of darkroom prints mounted on the 3'x3' gesso board they gave me. The text is
some Chris Cornell lyrics that I thought fit with the visual theme. I wrote them in sharpie, which is either visible or invisible depending on the angle you're looking at it.

Almost all the other pieces were paintings. There were a couple collage-y type things. I was the only one who did photography... great idea. The whole thing was a total nightmare. When I think about the whole experience all I see is the Easter Bunny from the last post. Everything that could possibly be frustrating and demoralizing happened.



It actually was in the auction, so that was good, even if nobody bid on it. Plus I got to be right up in the front for the Chris Cornell show, for free. He and his band played a lot of Soundgarden songs. He's still an amazing singer. Hey, how do you think he learned how to scream like that?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post made my day.

i love you Aaron.

p.s. better than Gayron Morris.

Christian Herwitz said...

That Mr. McKinney is QUITE the artist!